The digital revolution has made comic book publishing a thing of the past. See and learn how virtual computer technology will revolutionize this field and allow every artist to have their fifteen minutes of fame.

Saturday, May 13, 2006

DUNCAN'S KINGDOM

When I was first starting out, I had these preconceived notions about what a "professional" had to use. I thought you weren't a "professional" unless you were inking with a brush. So on my first project years before Lowbright, I used Winsor & Newton 00 and 0 brushes to ink everything. For sixty-five 11x14 (bristol board, hot press) pages I was killing my hand. I realized right away that the brush wasn't for me, but kept at it because of my naive preconceptions. Even though it was painful to move my right hand after a day's worth of drawing. Like an idiot, I continued with a brush for another 40 pages or my second project, which ended up never even seeing print.
On Duncan's Kingdom I switched to a pen nib(Hunt)-- the kind you dip into an inkwell -- which was better, but I still didn't feel comfortable. I settled on the pen nib for Pulling and Super Unleaded.
These days, I ink everything with a simple pen. I always felt most comfortable with a pen but avoided it because of its stigma of amateurism. But that's just lame. Each artists should decide which materials are the most comfortable and produces the best results for him/herself. Not only is the pen the most relaxing, it's the fastest, neatest, and was most beneficial in improving my art.
The pen let me loosen up and not be so uptight. As a result, I think my characters these days have a much greater feeling of motion, emotion, flexibility, and liveliness. I started with Pigma Micron pens from Sakura, but since my two year stay in Korea, I've switched to Copic MultiLiner from a company called .Too from Japan(sizes 0.1 and 0.3). The point holds up a lot better than Pigma after continual use.
TO THE WEBSITE -
http://lowbright.com/Comics/DuncansKingdom/DuncanIndex.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home